It’s been quite the year. A good, crazy, exhausting year. I won’t bore you with my sappy sentiments of the year gone by (where does the time go?! how is my baby so big?! etc). Even though it seems like a snoozefest and even though a new year is a celebration, we won’t get a sitter and go out. Like we do every year, we will stay in for NYE. We’ll probably watch something riveting and high-minded to begin the year right (let’s be honest, catch up on Doctor Who) while eating something delicious out of a bowl on the couch after Casper goes to sleep. I’ll probably be wearing leggings and have my hair up in a frizzy nest. We might even go to bed before the ball drops and I am way more than okay with all of that.
We’ll celebrate quietly but, we’ll still raise our glasses and say goodbye to 2015 with a cocktail…or two. Something bright and a little fizzy like this St. Germaine & Cassis Gin and Soda. It’s easy to drink and simple to make–a bit sweet, a little floral, rich with cassis, bracing with lemon, with a splash of sparkle from soda. It’s basically rose colored glasses in cocktail form.
- 3 ounces gin
- 2 ounces St. Germain (elderflower liqueur)
- ½ ounce creme de cassis (currant liqueur)
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 1 lemon wedge (1/4 of a lemon)
- soda water
- 4 dashes aromatic bitters
- Fill 2 glasses with ice.
- Stir the gin, St. Germain, cassis, and simple syrup together in a cup. Stir in the juice of the lemon. Pour the mixture into the 2 ice-filled glasses. Top with soda, stir in a few dashes of bitters per drink.