Happy New Year! These cupcakes are basically a torpedo for any cupcake-averse resolutions you maybe made. Sorry! But, really though, while I have resolved to continue with a personal wellness regimen I began several months ago (and have stuck with, WOO!) I have also resolved to make more cupcakes–and layer cakes, and bundts, and pretty much all cakes, for that matter. #balance
I figure if I’m going to make and consume something it better be worth it and these suckers are totally worth it. They’re deeply chocolatey but not too sweet, with a rich, fudgey frosting. Both the batter and the frosting include sour cream. It makes the cake tender and moist, and the ganache-like frosting a little bit tangy. Also, can you believe in nearly 8 years of blogging I have never made a chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting? I’m pretty sure that means I’ve begun 2016 on the right foot.
- for the cupcake batter:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- for the frosting:
- 12 ounces dark chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate)
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- pinch of kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake tin with 12 paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl beat the sugar, oil, sour cream, water, eggs, and vanilla together. Fold the sour cream mixture into the flour mixture--the batter should be pretty smooth and free of any large lumps. Divide the batter between the 12 lined cups, filling each about ¾ full. Bake the cupcakes on the center rack of the oven for 25-28 minutes, or until the tops spring back to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack before icing.
- To make the frosting, fashion a double boiler by setting a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water--making sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Add the chocolate, butter, and corn syrup stirring every so often until melted and smooth. Remove the bowl from the heat and set aside to cool for about 10 minutes. Beat in the sour cream until smooth, followed by the confectioners sugar. Chill the frosting in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes, stirring after 15, until the frosting thickens up but is still soft enough to pipe or spread onto the cooled cupcakes.
This post contains an affiliate link, which means this blog gets a small commission if you make a purchase using the link. That just goes toward maintaining this site and making more tasty things for our eyes and bellies.