I’m writing this on the morning of my 31st birthday and it feels CRAZY but, not for the obvious reasons–wrinkles where there were none before, my new found obsession with moisturizing creams, those persistent gray hairs–but, because I barely registered my 30th birthday. I was deep into pregnancy and house hunting. I had curly fries for dinner from Jack in the Box. To be fair, there was a lot happening. This year seems to be barreling by at warp speed, too. Where do these days go?! They just kind of crept up, leapfrogging over one another. It’s good, though. These super speedy days remind me to keep my eyes wide open and that sometimes simple is the order of the day. It means more time for rosé on the patio, some good conversation, and extra moments with my dudes.
This recipe for Strawberries with Sherry Vinegar, Graham Crumbs, and Brown Sugar Whipped Cream answers that call for easy-living. The elements are super simple, but still special: ripe strawberries, lush sherry vinegar, deep brown sugar, crunchy grahams, velvety whipped cream, and buttery…well, butter. I pair sherry vinegar with the berries instead of the classic balsamic because I’m having a moment with sherry vinegar and I don’t like the muddy color that happens when using balsamic. I’m also having a moment with dark brown sugar. It’s just so deep and delicious with all those dark, caramelly, molasses notes. It makes the whipped cream a little extra special and adds a pleasing sandiness to the graham crumbs. Speaking of the grahams, it’s basically the things you’d use to make a graham cracker crust–just not pressed into a pan. It’s my go-to, dead-easy, dessert these warmer months. I’ve already made it several times with good reception, plus it makes me feel like that effortless entertainer I’ve always wanted to be, instead of a frazzled weirdo. #fakeittillyoumakeit
I also made my first, ever, GIF! I kind of feel like a dinosaur because the tutorial I watched was basically made by an infant and I had to watch it several more times than I’d like to admit. But, here it is. I did it. It’s just a little animation of the nit-picky adjustments I made trying to style one of the shots. I mean it’s no sexy syrup-pour-shot or oozing-yolk, but maybe I’ll get there? I’m 31, I made my first GIF, and am figuring out this mom thing (or at least trying). I’m still learning things and that’s GOOD.
- for the berries:
- 1 lb. ripe, fresh strawberries stemmed and hulled
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons (more or less) dark brown sugar
- for the graham crumbs:
- 1 sleeve graham crackers (about 9 crackers)
- 1 tablespoon melted, unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- for the whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Slice the strawberries and toss them in a bowl with the sherry vinegar and brown sugar, to coat. Set aside.
- Crush the graham crackers into fine crumbs (I like to use a mini food processor for this, but a bag and rolling pin will work in a pinch). Place the crumbs in a bowl and stir in the melted butter, brown sugar, and salt, until well combined.
- Using electric beaters or an immersion blender (or your guns and a whisk) beat the cream until it begins to thicken. Add the brown sugar and continue to beat until you get a soft peak.
- Spoon the berries into bowls, top with the whipped cream, and a generous sprinkle of graham crumbs. You will probably have extra crumbs, they store well in a jar with a tight lid for several days. Use them for topping yogurt, sundaes, or more strawberries and cream!