It’s almost Cinco de Mayo! And even though we have Mexican food weekly, we don’t often pair that with margaritas–although, maybe we should? Margarita Mondays could be a thing, right? Honeslty, I wish I had more to say about drinking on a Monday, but I bachelorette-partied my tail off this weekend (and if you follow me on Snapchat, you witnessed some of the festivities and I apologize) and I am still recovering. I’ll be gaining a sister-in-law in a monthish and since we’re the only gals in quartet of brothers, it’s definitely something to celebrate.
Anyway, margaritas! I love and appreciate a basic margarita, on the rocks with a salted rim please (like my Simplest Margarita) but these are a little something extra. These magaritas are made special not only by the addition of creamy coconut milk, which adds some body to the traditional drink, but also from a sugary, slightly salty, zesty, toasted coconut rim. It’s an easy step to whip up the rim and one I definitely would not skip. It totally makes these margaritas and really punches up the coconut flavor.
Naturally when a food holiday as important as Cinco de Mayo rolls around you can expect the internet to deliver TONS of ideas for delicious sippers, thus Margarita Week was born (thanks to Kate from Hola! Jalapeno!). So, hop on over there to check out the amazing margarita varietals concocted by some other amazing bloggers and be sure to check back all week because, believe it or not, there will be more!
- for the toasted coconut rim:
- ¼ cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- zest of 1 lime
- for the margarita:
- 2 ounces canned coconut milk, mixed well
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces silver tequila
- 1 ounce Cointreau (or triple sec)
- 1-2 ounces simple syrup*
- Begin by making the toasted coconut rim. In a food processor or blender, blitz the toasted coconut, sugar, salt, and lime zest until combined and the coconut becomes a coarse powder. Pour the mixture onto a plate and spread out into an even layer.
- In a mixing glass, combine the coconut milk, lime juice, tequila, triple sec, and simple syrup–to taste–and stir to combine well. Wet the rim of a glass with a wedge of lime and dip the rim into the toasted coconut mixture. Fill the glass with ice and pour over the margarita mixture. Serve with an paper umbrella and wedge of lime.
Creamy is right!! These sound so good!! I love that toasted coconut rim too!
Abby @ Heart of a Baker
Margaritas FTW! I’m totally doing a coconut twist too, so all with you girlfriend! xo
Liz @ Floating Kitchen
I’m fully and wholly invested in the idea of Margarita Monday! Yahoo! These sound awesome and love that toasted coconut rim!
Great minds must think alike because I JUST made that exact cocktail for a shoot yesterday, for later this week! SO good, right? 🙂
Those sound delicious!!! I am excited for all of the margaritas on Cinco de Mayo!
Margarita Monday’s SHOULD be a thing. INTO IT! Also into these creamy margs. So good, lady.
Hello you beautiful refreshingness! This is one drink that I know was meant for me!!!
These photos are so gorgeous! Thank you so much Cindy for sharing your talented cocktail swagger with the greater tequila-loving community. Love this coconutty twist!
Shelly @ Vegetarian 'Ventures
Oh man – the coconut rim is genius! Next level drinking here!
Sarah @ SnixyKitchen
1. I’m super impressed you had the energy to bachelorette it up. 2. These are the dreamiest creamy margaritas ever! Happy Cinco de Mayo!
I love coconut and margaritas! I have never had one of these before though…it looks so good!! I will give this a try very soon! 🙂
Thank you! I hope you love them!
Awesome idea, but did not turn out well..coconut milk separated from rest of drink and resulted in real bad texture 🙁
I’m sorry to hear it didn’t turn out for you. Thanks for the feedback!